Saturday, September 27, 2008

Friday night at Chalker's

If you have not gathered by now I am hooked on West Coast Swing and can't get enough of it. I must admit I am starting to get a little frustrated with myself as I am not progressing at the speed I would like to. The only chance I get to dance are usually on Tuesday nights and now a few times on Friday and of course I cannot forget the great lessons I have with Julie. I did have a practice partner but I am not sure where that is going. I would love to find someone to practice with a few times a week who is as passionate about the dance as I am. I have all these things I want to try when I do get to dance practice but always forget them. I need to go over and over and over these things before I get to dance practice. Ok rant and feeling bad for myself is over, I feel much better now *L*.

Anyway, onto last night. Nick (Laura's Nick - I have mentioned them in other posts) is starting to put together these gatherings at a place called Chalker's on Friday nights (Hopefully Nick this is going to become kind of a regular thing). Chalker's is kind of a neat place. It is a bar with many pool tables, a dance floor and a live band. So last night there were 8 people who show up; Nick and Laura, Giselle, Wij, Linda, Dave and Shelley and myself. We basically have the dance floor to ourselves and it was fantastic. All 7 that were there are far superior dancers to me but I love this because I get to dance with 4, not only incredible dancers but wonderful people as well. I want to try all these new things I have in my mind but not tonight - I just want to enjoy the great dancing and fantastic company.

A little story (and I regress here a bit) When I first started West Coast Swing in February, there were 2 ladies I defintely put on a pedastal when it came to WCS and that was Julie and Shelley S (and come to think of it the pedastal is still there *L*). Anyway about 2 months into my dancing I was at my first dance at the Lithuanian House and Shelley and Dave were there and I believe Dave was the DJ. I had already danced with Julie a few times but had never danced with Shelley so I got up the nerve to ask her to dance - not good!!! I was not ready to dance with Shelley. She was so far above me in her dance I could not keep up with her. I kept losing the beat and forgetting the few steps I knew and did not enjoy the dance. From that point on until about a month or so ago I would not ask Shelley to dance because I was afraid it would be the same. But I got to know her a little better at the Toronto Swing Championships and afterwards finally got up the nerve to ask her again. This time I really enjoyed the dance. I guess that really showed me I had progressed a fair bit in the dance and was defintely heading in the right direction. I danced with her many times last night and I loved every minute of it. End of story -anyone still awake!!!! *L* Like someone is ever going to read this *LOL*.


Have a wonderful day

Larry

No comments: