Tuesday, March 24, 2009

On the Road Again - Day 2 - The Comps

Hey there, back again:

One of the neat things they have at the dance events I go to are the competitions. They give you a chance to compete against other dancers at you level. They have, what they call, Jack n Jill competitions in which you enter on your own and they pair you with different dancers on a song to song basis (you are being judged as an individual for the preliminary rounds and then as a couple in the finals). There are different divisions so you are only competing against people that are close to your caliber. They also have Strictly competitions where you enter with a partner and your judged as a couple. The other one that is of interest to me is the Pro-am where you enter with a professional, usually your Instructor. At this competition I entered all 3 and had a great time. I enter the Jack n Jill and thought I danced great, but it wasn't good enough to make finals. I entered the Strictly with my wonderful new partner but were unable to make the finals even though I thought we danced great. I also enter the Pro-Am with my instructor Shelley and we placed second which was awesome. I do not enter these competitions to win, I enter the Jack n Jills to meet new people, the strictly so I can dance with my incredible partner Marianne and the Pro-Ams because I love to dance with Shelley and Julie. If I, or we, make the finals that is a bonus. This was the first week I was able to compete with Marianne and it was a fantastic experience and a wonderful time. I am really hoping that we can dance together for a long time, she is a wonderful dancer (and getting better everyday) and an absolute joy to be around.

Well enough boredom for now, be back later

Larry

No comments: