Wednesday, June 6, 2007

I am too old for this interview shit

About a month ago a job posting came out for an I.T. Manager where I work. I thought about it for a long time and decided to apply. Well today was the interview. Notice I said interview as in 1 but to my surprise I found out there were 18 people applying for the position - 18!!!!!! That is enough for almost a complete hockey team, or a complete basketball team – WOW!!!!!!!. Well any thoughts about getting the position kind of flew from my head but I thought – what the hell - funnier things have happened.

Ok, so let me regress a little bit leading up to the interview. When I found out the interview would be today I started doing a lot of research into the types of questions I would be asked. I was not worried about my skills as a manager as I have been in the position before, but I have not been to a manager type interview in a long long time. This morning came, I went into the office at 7am and proceeded to get as nervous (how do they say) as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs *L*. By the time the interview came, my head ached, I was sweating and thinking about not going – I could not believe myself – what a wimp *LOL*. It is only a friggin interview!!!!, if I do not get the job I am very content where I am, but still I am acting like this is the first interview I have ever been to. It really shows how fear of the unknown can really get to you no matter who you are. Well I walked into the room and was greeted by 3 very nice people who proceeded to ask me every question that I did not go over before the interview – Oh boy!!!. I’m thinkin, “these guys must have a different google than me cuz I thought I covered everything. And the last question kind of threw me a bit – it was – “Tell us something funny that happened to you” – Maybe another day I will let you in on the funny story.

After all that I think the interview went well except for one part that I bombed at and it will be interesting how much stalk they put in that part. It was in regards to the challenges the section I am trying to manage is going to have over the next few years. I should hve thought about this but it never crossed my mind. I told them if I get asked back for a second interview I would know the answers. Hopefully I will get another interview – will keep you posted.

Have a wonderful day

No comments: